Friday, June 12, 2009

Want to be a Soldiers Angel??


I got a forwarded email from my friend Amy yesterday and I always take forwards with a grain of salt... (most aren't true and scams and crap like that) I'm not a big fan of stupid jokes and RARELY forward on anything because I know how much I HATE them. I stopped to read this one. I thought it was going to be a sad story about a soldier so I was preparing myself for a sad story. Well it turned out I was right and wrong.

Amy joined Soldiers Angels and writes a letter every week to a random soldier who doesn't have anyone writing to him/her. I've never heard of his before. Have I been hiding under a rock? Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE to send out cards and write letters! Ever since everyone I know has email, snail mail has become obsolete. It's sad really, but I still send out letters and cards to my friends and family!

I emailed Amy back to make sure this was legit before I busted out my cards! Sure enough she is a part of a team that does this all the time! In her email Amy said that there is a certain group of soldiers this week who are young and haven't received much or no mail at all. They are about to start a 12 month deployment. So I thought about what I might say to someone I don't know and probably doesn't have time to write me back. So I picked 2 names and wrote out 2 thank you cards and am putting them in the mail today!

Ever since I decided to be a Stay at home mom I've been talking about volunteering somewhere to do something. Between babysitting during the week and working most nights and weekends now, I haven't had a lot of time to do any of that volunteering I wanted to. So when I got this email I figure it's something I can do, sit down and write a letter once a week to a soldier who's purpose in life right now is to protect and serve our country! They also have a team of bakers who bake and send sweets over! HELLO!!! I'm getting on that FOR SURE! My LOVE for baking will never be put to better use I'm sure!

I have never had anyone close to me serve in the Military and so it was never really "real" to me until a few years ago. Victor's nephew Michael was in the Marines. He was killed in Iraq 3 years ago this weekend. Flag Day. It was such a sad time for Victor and his whole family. It hit me really hard to be a part of all of it. I only got to meet Michael a few times before he was killed but to know what he died for and to be apart of his family now was amazing! Even as I type this it brings tears to my eyes. EVERY time I see anyone in any kind of Military clothes I think of Michael and it brings tears to my eyes. Michael was supposed to be Victor's Best Man at our wedding so it was a very sad time for Victor, which always effects me. Michael is in a better place now but served with great Pride for his country and what he was doing. He is missed.


I could never be in the Military away from my family and in so much danger all the time. I give the soldiers that do it every day, and their families SO MUCH credit! They are super brave for what they do! I have a few friends who have family in the military, so if you are one of those people with someone you know in the military, send them a letter today. Just think about every time you go to get the mail if there is ANYTHING personal besides bills and junk mail you get so excited. I can imagine this is the same way that the soldiers feel when they get a piece of mail.

To make a short story loooong, this is why I've decided to sign up for this Soldiers Angels! Check out their website http://www.soldiersangels.org/ and find out what you can do to help! If you want to send out a card today or tomorrow to this certain group I was talking about, email me and I'll send you the names and address today! Really, a card/letter a week is SO easy to do and probably makes their day to hear from some people back home!

3 comments:

Greta Perry said...

Congrats on getting your wings. We are happy to have you aboard!

Amy said...

Yay! I love being a part of the team out here. On the weeks that I have extra time there are always extra soldiers to write to, and I send packages when I have extra money so its really a great organization. I certainly don't agree with the war.. but I also think that the men and women that serve deserve all the support in the world.

I sent out 15 cards last week.. lol my fingers are still cramped :-)

Anonymous said...

Jamie,
That sounds great!! Good for you! I need to volunteer too! Seems like I always get busy and caught up with life?! If you know what I mean?! This would be perfect, right up my alley. Please let me know what to do and how to join??!xo Jen

Oh, and your bog is adorable, I love it!!