Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Swimming... swimming... swimming... swimming.

Through the YMCA we signed Alana up for swim classes! Her BFF Kali was going to also be in the pool with her but in a different class. Alana loves the water and like to be with Victor and I in pools but I wasn't so sure how she would do with an instructor without us. I was a little nervious to say the least.

She was very excited when I told her what we were doing! We hung out for a few minutes before class started and watched the other kids swim!


First thing first... we had to get her into the water. I can't say enough how PROUD I am of my girl! She was a little hesitant to just go in with some random girl but after teacher Katie talked to her for a minute or so I just stood at the edge and dropped her in with Katie. She was all smiles for the next 30 minutes! I stood by the pool and shot video and took a million pictures and she was a HAPPY girl!!


Katie told me she was the ideal 3 year old for lessons! She listened to everything Katie told her and did it perfectly! It made me so happy to see her learning to swim! I grew up with a pool in my backyard and knew how to swim before I could walk so this was very important to me!



As happy as Monday swim class was, the complete opposite for Tuesday swim class was upon us. She didn't nap at Grandma's house so it was inevitable. She didn't want to go in, some other instructor picked her up and held her kicking and screaming down the pool side and tried for about 15 minutes to calm her down. Water in mouth, choking.... I pulled her from the pool after 15 minutes... Wednesday swimming class: I tricked her and lied to her about where we were going and why we were going, when she was smart enough to figure it out I bribed her with toys and candy... Outcome - SUPER happy 30 minutes in the pool and is ok to go back Thursday! I'm a smart mom!! She loves the water, but a day without a nap is not a good swim day!

Wednesday swim class with her BFF.




The YMCA was only $45 for 8 swim classes! AMAZING!!! More pictures to come for next week's swim classes! Wish me luck, you just never know what the day will bring with this little 3 year old girl!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

awesome!! I'm actually going to be signing up Jilly for YMCA swim lessons soon too!