Monday, December 13, 2010

Happy Turkey Day!

Little late on the Turkey post I know....
Going into the week of Thanksgiving I wasn't all that excited about it this year. Last year wasn't so fun so I assumed this year wouldn't be either. Last year my sister and her husband left us and went out to Arizona. That would be the first year without my mom, and my older sister just took off, not thinking about the family... of course. Neither my younger sister or I have ever cooked Thanksgiving and we pretty much had to just get through the day, as a matter of fact we didn't even want to do it but we knew we had to for my dad, for my grandparents... So we just did. My grandparents were nice enough to purchase the "Pre made" box of Thanksgiving dinner so that Jacquie and I could heat it up. That was a task in itself. Last year I'm pretty sure we just sat and ate and then everyone left...

Needless to say this year I was thinking it would be the same except my grandparents weren't even coming. It's like my mom dies and everyone forgets how to be a family on the holidays. Some how because she's gone its every one's excuse to miss out on the Holidays in some way or another... I get that my grandparents are old and don't want to drive, it just never seemed like it would be the same without them.

Although we did miss them and my uncle this year, this year turned out to be a LOT better then last and a LOT better then I thought! We still had a full house and this year my sister was staying for Thanksgiving. Julie and Brian did all the cooking, which was awesome, but even so, my brother and his family came from Utah! It was great to see them! We got to my parents house and said hello to everyone. Right away they were serving up Bloody Mary's so I knew this would be better then last year... We hung out and visited for awhile before eating! We ate early, Victor and I still had his family to go to for dinner. Lunch was great... it was all missing my moms touch though. Her yams, her baking... Her insisting that we use china to eat from... But she was there with us. Her ashes sitting up on the mantle in a box that had an inch thick of dust on. I took it down to dust off, but she was there...

Seeing my brother and the family made it a happy day. Standing outside with the smokers was kind of weird. It was definitely weird to be out there without her. What I thought was more weird and sad is that her shoes that she wore outside to do yard work in sat there on the porch like at any time she'd come out and slip them on. She was definitely missed that day.

I am thankful that we had a good Thanksgiving together. I am thankful for a lot of things this year. We have our health, we have each other, lots of family and friends. We have a warm house and all the necessities we need. I am thankful for that!
Me and my brother


Alana and Grandpa Rick
My brother and his wife
Me and my hunny
My pops and I
My Hailey just turned the big 1-5!! She's 15 and that to me seems crazy!
Rosie and daddy


My bro and sisters


My oldest Nephew and Niece! Making me feel old!!
Our second dinner at Victor's parents house was just as yummy! I made the decision next year that both sides of the family can come to me and I will prepare my first Thanksgiving dinner!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Buy the turkey with the pop up timer! makes it all easier.