Thursday, February 25, 2010

Got Pollo?

LOVIN the new job! Today I actually got to spend 4 hours in one of our restaurants to see how it functions and really where we make all of our money. The heart of El Pollo Loco is really in the restaurants. They are why I have a job! So thank you for eating there :)
This company is just beyond awesome! I never would have thought in a million years that a company that is labeled a "fast food chain" would have such high standards and so much passion for what they do! From the fresh produce they get every day to make their own salsa to their chicken grilling that they have down to a science!
I spent the first part of my morning learning the systems, as I am in IT, so I should really know what they use! The GM trained me all morning on what El Pollo Loco is and what they stand for. Their mission is "To Serve Perfect Pollo, Every time". It was so awesome to see her take such pride in her job and in her restaurant and staff. Then she showed me all the fresh produce and fresh EVERYTHING they use! I was really impressed. Now I know the secret to why myself and everyone I know is "addicted" to their salsa. It really is THAT fresh. I got to cut tomato's and help make that BOMB salsa!

I then got to learn about the famous "Pollo". I started off by shredding some chicken to add to the Tortilla soup, the soup I made was so yummy! Then I actually got to break down the whole chickens and put them in their secret marinade... mmmmm.... made me so hungry all morning smelling everything! I got to grill the chicken. They really do have it down to a science, can't tell you the secrets but I swear every piece of chicken that they pulled off of the grill was grilled perfectly and nice and juicy! The GM took so much pride in everything she does in her restaurant from making sure the place is super clean to keeping everything at the perfect temperature. Coming from someone with lots of experience in the food business, El Pollo Loco is for sure a few steps above any other fast food place. Being behind the counter, helping out brought me back to my days at my first job at Burger King.
Now, I swear I'm not saying all this just because I now work for the Chicken, I was really impressed. Impressed with the whole company in fact. SOOOO many people that work in the restaurants and at our Corporate Office have been there for so many years. Everyone I meet I have to ask, "How long have you been here?". I swear it's always about 15 years if not longer! Working at their Corporate Office I think it's so important that they put their employee's through this training! Really gives you a new perspective on the company!
Had a great "Day of Pollo"... no pictures, didn't really have time, but I did look pretty hot in my uniform shirt!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

So what's up with the steak now? Pollo and Carne? :) Burger King! AHHHH that job was funnnnyyy.....

Jami Smythe said...

It is so nice hearing someone is so excited and happy with there job! I get through just remembering I'm lucky to have one, I wish I was as enthusiastic about my company as you are yours!