Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Fighting back

One of my good friends Jennifer has been trying to get me to join her walk in the Relay for Life. I had plans during the time, but they've since been cancelled and now I'm in full force. Honestly when she first told me about it, I'm always up for doing anything fun and different but that's just what it was to me, something fun to raise money. I get it. I love to do that kind of stuff. I love to volunteer for whatever I can, that's just me. She sent me her website a few months back and I looked at it and saw her story of how she was walking for her Grandpa. It always touches my heart when people, especially my friends, do things like for family members that have passed.

So since our plans were cancelled for the same dates of this walk, Jen asked me again to join. I looked at her website again. This time, I balled my eyes out. The second I saw my mom's name on there I couldn't help but all of a sudden feel this crazy feeling. Like all of a sudden it wasn't something Jen just wanted me to do for fun. Sure it will be fun, but damn.... it's in my mom's name too! So this weekend I signed up, made my own personal page on Jenny's pennies team! The fact that Jen walks in honor of her grandpa and my own mother. It meant more to me then she will ever know! My sister Jacquie and her best friend have also signed up. Some of our friends and husbands... We all pledge to raise $100 each. I can do $100! My friend Irene donated the first $5. THANK YOU! Only $95 more to go! I HATE to bug people for donations, but after realizing what it's for and who it's for... I have no problem at least asking. I know people are tight on money right now, but hopefully if I can get everyone I know to donate $5 it will make such a big difference.

My mom died at age 61 of a really rare cancer with little to no research. If me walking in this Relay for Life will help to raise money for cancer patients, cancer research or any part of it, I'M IN! If there were more research into my mom's cancer, it may have saved her life. But those were the cards we were dealt.


So please if mom means anything or has ever meant anything to you, donate to our team in her name. My page, my sisters page, Victor's page. I don't care. $5 is all I ask please. It's not a lot but will make a big difference! Click on this link and it will take you to our team page. You can donate to any person on behalf of mom. Thank you in advance for helping us raise money!


Thank you Jennifer for making me realize what the Relay for Life is really about. I know how much fun it will be, but I also now know what it means and how much I can do just by joining you in the fight back against cancer! Mama, this one's for you!

Miss you every day, think about you every second. Love you always!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

That's why we are doing it!!! Great post! My grandma died of lung cancer at 68...so young! We are walking in honor of her and your mama. Xoxo

Jennifer Reason said...

Jamie - I so honored to do this walk in memory of your mother. She was a wonderful, kind, beautiful women and her life deserves a big celebration. Also, I dont want anyone to have to go thru what you and your family had to go thru. Let's find a cure!