Thursday, July 9, 2009

Bye, Bye Bottle... uh...

Months ago I got an email from the Baby Center which is my favorite place for baby info, what I should and shouldn't be doing and some of the coolest ideas. The email said that I should start weaning Alana off bottles by her first birthday. I knew it wasn't going to be easy. A baby has a connection with a bottle since the day you give it to them, which for Alana was the 3rd week of her life! It's food, it's comfort, it was an easy soother...
She's been drinking juice out of sippy cups for so long now, I figured it wouldn't be hard, I'd just give her milk in her cup. Well she didn't want to have anything to do with her cup if it had milk in it. She would drink anything else in the world I put it in except Milk... so for a few months I've kept trying. The day she turned one, I stopped giving her bottles all that often. She has been eating so much normal food that she didn't need it as much as before. She would get one before nap time in the afternoon and one before bed. That worked for awhile. But I'm OVER washing bottles and all the stupid little parts that go with them!!! I found this cup that has a soft nipple to see if we can try to trick her in drinking milk out of a sippy cup instead and wah-la!!! It worked!

Peace out bottles, you've been great!

2 comments:

just another mama said...

how'd that go for you?
we went cold turkey not too long ago. F still gets milk 4x a day, needless to say, we had a cranky couple days!
we'll never look back! cold turkey is the way to go!!

Jamie said...

She won't drink Milk from anything else. These sippy cups with the soft nipple are the only thing she'll drink it out of now. I just can't get her to drink milk otherwise. I need to try something else. Bottles are gone though, thank god!