Sunday, March 29, 2009

Damn TV shows!

So I have to start off by saying I watch Grey's Anatomy and it's one of my favorite shows on TV right now. This last week the show touched home all too much with a little sick old lady who died. She looked just like my grandma. I sat here and balled my eyes out when she died. It just reminded me all to well of my Grandma Rose who passed away 2 years ago this June. The lady on TV looked like her and even spoke like her. My grandma was born in Italy and came to the US when he was 3. (So I've heard that story). She lived in New York where she raised her 7 kids. My grandma was a great woman, always happy and singing songs to us grandkids. She loved Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra and would listen to their music for hours! When I was younger my Grandma Rose would take me "Galavanting"... which meant going to breakfast or riding the monorail on the outside of Disneyland. I remember she took me to see a movie once, it was a family movie my grandma thought called "Children of the corn"... why wouldn't it be a children's movie? :)
It was a week before my wedding when she passed. It was really hard for me to take. I wanted her to be at my wedding so bad. She had made it to my other 2 sisters weddings and it was sad that she didn't make it to mine. But I understand that God had other plans for her! I always feel like I never spent enough time with her or I could have done more for her. When someone dies there are always "Ifs" and "whys" but at that point it's too late for that. But she will live on with my Alana "Rose" named after her great grandma.


While I was at work, Victor sent me a text because he was at home watching Grey's later that evening. He said that it hit too close to home and that little old lady reminded him of his grandma and he missed her. (I hadn't told him about me feeling the same way yet). But it was crazy that one little old lady laying in a hospital bed dying could remind us of different people. Victor's Grandma (Mama Grande) died when she was 102 years old. Yes, you read that right. 102!! She was born in 1902 and lived through everything we've only read about in History books! Victor has always said she had the most amazing stories to tell! She outlived 3 of her husbands and had 12 kids! She owned a farm for a long time and worked her ass off her entire life! She lived with Victor for most of his younger life when he lived at home! This picture is from her 101 birthday party! She had good vision out of one of her eyes and was a feisty old lady! At this party, she got up and danced like she was 60 years old! She was an amazing woman!


Both of our Grandma's died before I had this wonderful thing called a blog so I never got to post pictures of them! So today I just want to say how much they are missed and how much everything they've created in their lives will live on with us every day!

No comments: