Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mind Muscle

I know this sounds crazy, but I am such a big fan of Kaiser Permanente's commercials. I love their TV Commercials and also their radio ones! No, I don't work for Kaiser or even have their insurance, nor are they paying me for this ad. Haha... I just love what they stand for! Their "Thrive" campaign is all about preventive maintenance, which is super smart for a health care company. But I just think they are so smart in taking this marketing stand!

The one that stood out to me recently was about Flabby Brains! Anyone who knows me knows I have the worst memory EVER! I swear I can't remember anything before I was 15 unless there are pictures then I kinda remember it because I have a picture. Some one could say do you remember when we were little and ... blah, blah... Nope, I most likely will not remember it. Sometimes I don't even remember what happened a few years ago... So this ad really made me think and pay attention to it when I heard it on the radio! I am for sure going to try some of these out! (Plus I like that lady's voice that does their commercials)

Kaiser tells us that to help exercise your brain to try some of these as "Mental Gymnastics":

  • Pick up a crossword puzzle
  • Learn a new song on the piano
  • Eat your cereal with a spoon in the other hand
  • Find a new route to work
  • Recite the alphabet backwards
  • Grocery shop starting at the other end of the store
Anything you do out of your routine, challenges you! This is for better memory, clearer thinking and sharper focus which is everything that I need! They say that 10 minutes of these routine breakers a day can improve your brains speed, retention and memory and can even help prevent All-timers disease.

They are things that are so easy but I never really think about doing!! Grocery shop starting at the other end of the store?!? Never thought about that. I'm such a creature of habit that I just start at one end and go. But hey if there is any chance that I can get my brain to do some "Mental Gymnastics" I think I'll try! With all the Cancer in my family I need to make sure I am doing what I can to help myself stay healthy! A little preventative maintenance never hurt anyone! Thank you for the pick me up Kaiser Permanente!

No comments: