Saturday, April 24, 2010

Because Cancer never sleeps

Our Relay for Life walk was this weekend! Last year Jen asked me if I wanted to walk with her, (even before my mom died) but we were going to be on vacation during the walk. Lots of things happened and we decided to postpone our vacation so we were able to walk! In the meantime since my mom had passed away from cancer, I was determined to do what I could to help raise money for research. Her cancer was really rare and I do believe that any money I can raise to go to research of any cancer means less death because of it. So I called in the troops and we filled Jens team, Jenny's pennies! None of us had any idea what to expect because this would be our first year (minus Jen and her mom).
Our 24 hour relay started Saturday morning at 9am and ended Sunday morning at 9am. Hours and hours went into preparing for this day. Each member on our team tried to raise $100 as a donation. I'd like to thank every person who gave $5 and more to me. I really do appreciate your generosity. Trust me when I say that every penny of your money is going to the most amazing cause EVER!
Our theme was "More birthdays, Less Cancer". We signed up to do a bake sale the day of to raise extra money! So guess who did all the baking?? Friday night was CUPCAKE HELL, as I like to call it! :) I started baking at 4pm and Crystal and I didn't stop until 11pm that night. We baked 100 cupcakes. Frosted, decorated, bagged and tied with a bow! 8 dozen chocolate chip cookies, bagged and tied with a bow. Brownies, rice krispy treats, cut and wrapped.... we had our work cut out for us! If it wasn't for Crystal pushing me at 10:30 that night to finish I would have given up, that was a lot to take on! Thank you Crys, I couldn't have done it without you, and it was totally worth all of it!

Up early Saturday morning to head out to Murrieta to start our relay. We meet up with the team, set up our camp and bake sale. LOVE these girls (and hubby) for taking this on with me and being part of it! I made us shirts with my moms picture on it, after all, that's why I was there in the first place. It was going to be a day to celebrate, remember and fight back!!


Last minute, my niece Hailey was able to join us! Can't tell you how much it meant to have my sister there with me too! Her and I have gotten so close in the last few years and to have her support all the time and someone to talk to who knows JUST how I feel all the time is pretty amazing.


Opening ceremonies started at 9! The event took place in a park with a great arena! We heard some amazing stories from survivors of cancer.


Our super cute hard work!


YUMMY for a great cause!


The 24 hour relay was held in the park with a really great track around it! It was concrete and super easy to walk on. Almost all 24 hours they had music playing, DJ and bands, contests and fun stuff going on. Hearing stories from the survivors was really amazing. I honestly was very selfish signing up for relay. I wanted to walk for my mom. That was my goal. In meeting people throughout the day and hearing their stories, it REALLY hit me. There was more to cancer then just my mom dying from it. There are so many people who battled it and won. I can't be that i was that selfish to think I should only be walking for my mom. Hell, 10 years ago my dad battled cancer and won. My grandmother had breast cancer and won, my sister had cervical cancer and won, my aunts and cousins and friends have had so many cases of cancer and beaten it! Cancer really wasn't a thing in my life until it hit me with full force. Took my best friend, took my mother from me.... but it has been a part of my life for a long time. I walked today in honor of my mother, but also in honor of every person I know who has had cancer in some form or any of my friends or family that it has affected. The survivors who were present got to take the first lap around the track. Watching these people pass us by, it really just hit me. As soon as the survivors passed us our team got out on the track and started walking.... walking and walking...


The day was warm but not to hot, there was a really cool breeze. After a few laps around we'd take a break for a few and sit in camp, relax, focus on the bake sale, just enjoy the day!


The day went on. Lap after lap we walked. Talking to each other, sharing stories, enjoying each other's company. Each lap you passed a station where you took a bead so you knew how far you were walking. Hours went by and we looked down at our beads and realized that we had gone 5, 6, 7 miles... what? Already? We walked that much already? It was an amazing feeling. Bead after bead, mile after mile... the sun was about to go down! Here were some of our totals...
Melissa had 20 miles!!!!!
Victor had 17 miles!!!
Crystal and I had 15 miles!!
Jacquie, Aja and Hailey had 12 miles!!
Victor was in the lead until Melissa started to get competitive with him... after 17 miles Victor was done and Melissa finished out at 20 miles! Girl, I am so proud of you, we didn't even have to roll you out on a stretcher! I walked 15 miles!!! 15!!!! In 10 hours! Can you believe it? I really still can't believe it honestly.
As the sun went down the Luminary bags were brought out. You could buy these bags for a $10 donation. They were had decorated from Children and volunteers with your personal message on them!
This is one that I purchased from Me and Jac.


This is one that Jen purchased for mom.


Since starting at El Pollo Loco I've meet some amazing people. One of the ladies I work with, her mom passed away last year of cancer as well. Her and I hit it off and have a lot in common. She reminds me so much of my mom. My mom would have loved her! Linda is a dear and kind person, I bought a bag in honor of her mother who she also misses very much!

At 9pm that night they asked everyone to stop walking, (which was a god send) because after 10 hours of walking, 15 miles, we all needed that break. The ceremony at night was really amazing. We gathered around the arena, all 600 people. There were more stories, plenty of crying and a great slideshow! People who survived, people who were gone. We had 6 pictures in the slideshow of us and mom. They had a beautiful display of the word HOPE.
Everyone got to hold a candle and light it with a moment of silence to remember.... it was such a wonderful feeling, sad, emotional but healing... all at the same time.
A lot of fun bonding time with my Hailey!

With my whole team and my hubby. I love them all!


The bags were lit and as it got darker their glow was beautiful and peaceful!
I really can't thank everyone for their love and support. I had people donate money that I haven't talked to in years, but cancer effects everyone. One of the survivors said that anyone can say, oh I'm sorry you lost your mom, I'm sorry so and so has cancer and they can feel bad for you. But it really takes someone getting involved with something like this to really try to change things and make a difference.
Mom would have been so proud of us all today.

3 comments:

blahblah said...

Jamie, I am sooo proud of you! You did an amazing job your mom would definitely be proud of all of you. Love the pictures! Glad I could help donate, just wish I could have been there to walk with you all. I WANT A SHIRT DANG IT!! haha love ya!!!

just another mama said...

what an amazing weekend, Jamie! Thank you for sharing your story and doing your part. Cancer sucks.

Ashley said...

I'm so impressed with all you guys! Instead of taking this lying down, you are all doing your part to help make sure that your children won't have to go through the heartache that you have. I love you all and I wish I could have been there!