Monday, August 13, 2012

Beauty in my garden

If you recall a few years ago when we moved into our house, I was so excited about the beautiful Plumeria flowers that grow in our yard. They have always been my favorite flower! I had no idea what to do with them and honestly Alana and I only pick them to put one in our hair every now and then. They bloom so beautiful every year and I had yet to do a thing with them! A few weeks ago one of the girls from church let her daughter pick a bunch and she said she was going to make a lei. She never did, but it made me think maybe I could make one?

I came home one day and remembered it was my walking buddy's birthday, who is my neighbor. Alana and I decided that we were going to pick her some roses from our front yard and bring them over to her. Little did I know that when I got home the gardener would have trimmed them ALL OFF. We were bummed. Then Alana reminded me of the flowers in the back yard. My neighbor Sharon always says how much she loves our plumeria's so I decided it was the day I was going to make a lei! Alana helped me pick all of the flowers from the 3 different kinds and I took some thread and a sewing needle and stung them together! I was amazed at how EASY it was and it smelled amazing!! We took it over to Sharon and she loved it! She wore it all night and it stayed together, despite the tiny sewing thread it was strung with! I was so proud of my little beauties!!

That Saturday we were celebrating Donovan's birthday. A boy from Hawaii would really appreciate a Lei so I made one for him! He wore it that day at the beach and it was so beautiful and the smell of them are just unreal! They start to bloom in mid-June and go for a few months, come by and get some and make something fun, I have 5 trees and not nearly enough time on my hands to use them all!


No comments: