Monday, October 17, 2011

For the love of Music

Years ago before my mom passed away she gave Victor and I some of her Beatles Albums. I'm pretty sure she gave them to Victor, but what's his is mine! And by Albums I mean actual vinyl records. I know it's crazy but I LOVE them! Yes, because they were from my mom but also because there is nothing like them. A vinyl record reminds me of the good ol' days. Not mine, but my parents. The days when they were young and loved to sit and listen to records. Those are the days I picture in my head when I see a record. Recently while Victor and I have a Saturday off together, we'll go to some of the garage sales around the house and find some awesome records. We've found some Beatles records and picked them up for .50 cents! While in Santa Barbara we found a few more. We've been adding to our little collection album by album. I found a great Madonna one that I LOVE! We mostly love them for the covers. We talk about framing them like posters.




Recently we've been looking to buy a record player. Yes, we were buying records without owning a record player. But we kept looking for one. We found some cool ones that had a USB drive to plug into a computer, but we didn't really want that. We wanted just a plain old fashion record player. Believe it or not, it was hard to find. This weekend we went into every antique store we could find in the orange circle. (And there are a LOT of them there.) After finding a few players we feel in love with this one! It was a great price and didn't have an 8-track player with it. It's beautiful!!




We got home and pulled out our Beatles records and played every single one of them! I know you may think I'm crazy, because I have every one of these songs on a CD or on our itunes, but there is something amazing about hearing a record playing. The cracks and the pops and that sound that makes is a record. It's amazing to listen to! Not to mention that the Beatles and these records will forever remind me of my mom. We spent a lot of time this weekend listening to the cracks and the pops on an old school record player! Alana is a child of the 2000's. But she already has an old soul and anything I can do to help her love of music I will do! Victor is working on building a one of a kind record shelf at home. One we can display the records we have but also take them out and listen to them, the way they should be kept! Pictures to follow.



No comments: