Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Sometimes in my life...

Sometimes you meet someone in your life that you make an instant connection to. You meet them once and you are forever friends. It's happened to me a few times. Sometimes you just meet someone and know you will forever be their friend. A vendor of mine from work came down to CA from Michigan and we were instant friends. She needed someone to take her out and show her California and I was to be that person. We had a great night out on the town and I really got to know her. The next few days that followed we spent a few days locked up with each other in a conference room "working". Or really getting to know each other. One of our first conversations were about death to a close family member. That is pretty much how our friendship started. She came out a few more times and we had a great time and shared secrets we wouldn't tell many people. But neither of us had anyone else to tell so we let it out. Right before Thanksgiving when she came out to "work". Crystal and I took her out for a few drinks and she had gotten the news that her dad that was on life support, had died. While she was in CA, her dad died in Michigan. It was heartbreaking and needless to say made us grow closer. She went home and we texted and emailed and talked. It's amazing how sometimes you can get pretty close to someone without seeing them every day! She was out here right before Christmas and our time together was so much fun!! She rented a car from the airport and to her surprise she ended up getting a red convertible mustang. So needless to say I never came back from lunch that day... we went straight to Laguna Beach for the afternoon! She loved the beach and everything California had to offer! It was a great day! Before she left she gave me this very nice card. I opened it while at lunch but knew the second there was writing inside I would need to read it later...




The card was full of wonderful nice words to me about what a great friend I've become to her in such a short amount of time. All the same stuff I had thought about her. About how awesome it was to have met me. She is pretty awesome at her thoughtful words.
This picture is in front of our EPL office. Hence the chicken. I'm pretty sure this is the only picture we have together. I guess at this point you are asking... "So why are you blogging about this"? What is the point?

I found out today that she has 3 to 6 months to live. She is going to die of cancer. That horrible 6 letter word that I HATE. Her cancer started in her lymph nodes and keeps on spreading. On Christmas eve she was taken into the ER to remove a lung that it had spread to. She only has one lung. She wasn't able to breathe on her own until a few days ago... She called me today and I was SOOO happy. I thought I might never hear her voice again. Did you know you could live with just one lung? I didn't know that.... She's dying and it breaks my heart. She's so far away.

One thing I ALWAYS struggle with is "why". Why in the world would God put me in someone's life just to kill them with cancer and take them away from me? Really? Again. Err. I get so mad sometimes. I don't always know how to handle things like this. She called me tonight to cry and to vent about dying... really? All I could do was be strong for her. I'm not a strong girl by any means. I do NOT deal with cancer well. Some how she needs me. She doesn't seem to have a lot of friends or maybe I just understand her more then most of her friends.... but she needs me. I'm here for her and she's going to die. I don't get it.

2 comments:

jen tarin said...

So, so sad! Cancer doesnt care if your young or not. Or if you've lived your life or not. Its so ugly!
You and your friend are in our thoughts and prayers.
Very kind words for your friend! Glad you have this blog to express your thoughts and feelings.
We have to live our lives to the fullest, each and every day as every day is precious.

Anonymous said...

Be strong Jamie! You can do it. God has a plan for you. As the saying goes....let go and let God take over! Cancer is the Devil's disease!